Postgraduates and postdoctoral scholars working in any area of Scottish literature (1740-1830) are invited to apply for the jointly funded BARS-UCSL Scottish Romanticism Research Award. The executive committees of the British Association for Romantic Studies (BARS) and the Universities Committee for Scottish Literature (UCSL) have established the award to help fund expenses incurred through travel to Scottish libraries and archives, including universities other than the applicant’s own, up to a maximum of £300. A postgraduate may be a current or recent Master’s student (within two years of graduation) or a PhD candidate; a postdoctoral scholar is defined as someone who holds a PhD but does not hold a permanent academic post. If appropriate, UCSL will endeavour to assign the awardee an academic liaison at one of its partner universities. For a list of partner universities please see www.ucsl-scotland.com/members.
Successful applicants must be members of BARS before taking up the award (to join please visit www.bars.ac.uk). The recipient will be announced on the BARS and UCSL websites, and he or she will be asked to submit a short report to the BARS Executive Committee, and to acknowledge BARS and UCSL in their doctoral thesis and/or any publication arising from the research trip.
Please send the following information in support of your application (up to two pages of A4 in word.doc format):
1. Your full name and institutional affiliation (if any).
2. The working title and a short abstract or summary of your PhD or current project.
3. Brief description of the research to be undertaken for which you need support.
4. Libraries or institutions at which you will work.
5. Estimated costing of proposed research trip.
6. Estimated travel dates.
7. Name of one supervisor/referee (along with an email address) to whom application can be made for a supporting reference on your behalf. A reference is not required at the time of applying.
Applications and questions should be directed to the BARS bursaries officer, Dr Daniel Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the University of Dundee. The deadline for applications is 6th July 2018. The research trip must take place within a year (i.e. by July 2019).